Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry I am new to this stuff, I am more at home on a Pic32 but thought I would give something different a try.

So I installed the latest compiler and this library and the fatsd library, open the example and hit compile.. Thats when I get the below error.

I have googled this and searched all the sites that deal with this library. No luck.

Any help would be outstanding.. please just point me in the right direction.. 😉

Thanks.
    Leroy

c:/users/lbaynum/downloads/arduino-1.5.2-windows/arduino-1.5.2/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/../../../../avr/lib/avr5\libc.a(malloc.o): In function `malloc’:
    (.text+0x0): multiple definition of `malloc’
    C:\Users\lbaynum\AppData\Local\Temp\build1657941011744485209.tmp/core.a(malloc.c.o):C:\Users\lbaynum\Downloads\arduino-1.5.2-windows\arduino-1.5.2\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/malloc.c:82: first defined here
    c:/users/lbaynum/downloads/arduino-1.5.2-windows/arduino-1.5.2/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/../../../../avr/lib/avr5\libc.a(malloc.o): In function `free’:
    (.text+0x154): multiple definition of `free’
    C:\Users\lbaynum\AppData\Local\Temp\build1657941011744485209.tmp/core.a(malloc.c.o):C:\Users\lbaynum\Downloads\arduino-1.5.2-windows\arduino-1.5.2\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/malloc.c:194: first defined here

Bill

You are using a version of Arduino that is still very much a BETA version. Drop down to the stable version 1.0.3 and see if the error persists.

Seems this is a noted problem with the BETA version already:

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?topic=150212.0

Bill

Further history into this in case you are interested:

https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/857

Several things.

1) IDE 1.5.2 requires SdFatBeta20130207.zip to solve your main problem. Where the current SdFatLib sdfatlib20121219.zip contained in the current release of SFEMP3Shield has the above known, fixed in the beta.

2) You say you installed the latest compiler. Do you mean IDE or avr-gcc. If avr-gcc then, please see my SdFat Issue #9 as it discusses actually confirming that SdFat works with 1.5.2, both with Arduino’s default avr-gcc 4.3.2 and the latest avr-gcc 4.7.x Where the later requires a fix to SdFat, that is pending the next release of SdFat. Alternatively/simpler you can comment out the offending line, for this issue, as it is cosmetic, if you are using avr-gcc 4.7.x. To avoid the problem with latest gcc.

//Serial.print(FreeRam(), DEC);

Either way Issue #9 documents that SFEMP3shield can work with 1.5.2, if SdFat is fixed.

I had been hesitant to update the SFEMP3Shield library with the beta, being a beta. Where as it appears to work fine for me.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.