Home Forums Sparkfun MP3 Shield Library Support Forum MP3_DREQ never goes high

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Bill and Michael –

Here’s the problem I’m having, and I’m pretty much out of ideas.  When I connect the Sparkfun MP3 Player shield to the Arduino and run the MP3Shield_Library_Demo, I’m never able to move past the MP3player.begin() function.  I’ve traced the problem to the SFEMP3Shield::Mp3ReadRegister routine, specifically, to the line that reads:

while(!digitalRead(MP3_DREQ)) ; //Wait for DREQ to go high indicating IC is available

The sketch hangs at this point and never does anything else (nor does it crash, it just sits there).   I get identical behavior with a Mega 2560 (appropriately jumpered) and with an Arduino Pro.  Any ideas?  As an aside, I tried with an Arduino BT (moving pin 7 to pin 5), but couldn’t even get to the “free memory” println.  I think thats an unrelated problem, though.

Any thoughts would be welcome!

Thanks!

Gryffin

hmm.

Does not sound good, as the DREQ is sourced from the VS1053. I suspect voltmeter indicates it is always low.

What is the measured state of the:

MP3_RESET

3.3V and 1.8V

Is the crystal at 12.288MgHz

Inspect all the solder joints. You may want to reflow them with an iron, one by one.

If you comment out the

if(result != 0) {…

That is stopping the code from continuing, can you “d” out the directory. Sounds like the SdCard is working.

Perhaps comment out the sd.initErrorHalt(); and remove the SdCard and then see if the VS1053 then starts talking.

Check to make sure that one of the VS1053 GPIO’s is not causing it to be in master mode.

Does the MP3_Shield_RealtimeMIDI.ino example work on it? Note this sketch can be configured by default not to use the SPI interface that is being blocked by the lack of DREQ. Rather it can use a SoftSerial port to send MIDI notes. and should sound like a sequence of notes starting of very low. if GPIO0 is high it will be in the wrong mode of master. If GPIO1 is high it will be in RT-MIDI mode.

The later GPIO1 is on D4 so it can not be initially used. The above MIDI sketch uses it appropriately.

If these fail. I am not sure expect to try another shield.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.